On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >   How about if I confirm that it IS possible to have RH7.2 boot to X
> >immediately after install?
> Only if you used the original images :)

   Actually, yes.  Since RH started using multiple CDs it's been too much
of a hassle (for me) to build ISOs with the updates included.

> Yeah, I'm not using Skipjack, I'm using Enigma (hmmm, it's also an
> smp machine, would/should that matter?)

   One would not use Skipjack if one expected the system to actually work.
I just like playing with the new toys.
   As for the SMP issue, it shouldn't matter.  Of the two machines I
installed recently, one was SMP and one wasn't.  They behaved almost
identically.

> >However, when I swapped the video card in one and booted, it stopped at a
> >text login with no indication of even trying X.
> That's exactly what I'm seeing!

   Except that you haven't changed hardware between installing and
attemping to boot, right?

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Angus D Madden wrote:

> If you used a video card with a different chipset your XF86Config-4
> would need to be udapted with the new information.  Otherwise your
> display manager would silently fail (or noisily fail, depending on how
> far X got before crashing).

   Of course, and I only discovered this when I realized that I had
forgotten to change the default to runlevel 3 BEFORE shutting down the
system to change the card.  What I actually expected was an unusable
machine stuck in a loop trying to start X.  Maybe now init or prefdm or
whatever is checking return values and avoiding respawning a failed
process.

   Maybe there is something just weird enough about Paul's machine that is
causing X to fail, and the system knows enough to stop trying.

- --
     -Matt

I used to have a handle on life, but then it fell off.