On 26 Jul 2002, at 2:53pm, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
> However, there used to be a time when user directories used to be
> placed under /usr.

  Right.  From what I understand, the embryonic Unix systems were
single-user machines, with a very few top level directories: /src for
source, /bin for binaries, /etc for "all that system stuff", /dev for
devices, and /tmp for temporary files (did I forget any?).  When multi-user
functions were added, the /usr directory was created for user files.  When
additional disks were added, /usr was also used as the mount-point.  (I'm
not sure which came first.)  Because the /usr disk had more space than /
disk, all the former to-level directories were re-created and stuff dumped
there, leading to a bit of mess.  It isn't that bad to have a one or two
/usr/bscott directories, but on a large, multi-user system, it gets kind of
ugly.

> Then things changed, and everybody started using <other directories>, most
> notably, /home .

  /sbin, /opt, and /var are other notable additions.

> I guess, in short, it's a bit of convenience to have users directories all
> grouped together.  But are there any other reasons that I'm overlooking?

  /usr can be network-mounted and/or read-only with user directories under
/home.  The LSB says distributors *must* allow /usr to be mounted read-only.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>