Hi,

2012/7/13 Adrien <camarade...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm mentionning that a bit in advance but I've resumed my work for
> yypkg (package manager that works on and for windows) and its
> packages, and I'll be making a more formal announcement in a few days.
>
> I've added functions to yypkg and I've reworked packages. Currently, I
> have packages for binutils, mingw-w64 headers+crt, cross gcc from
> linux to i686-w64-mingw32, zlib, xz, win-iconv, gettext, libjpeg,
> expat, and soon freetype, fontconfig, libpng, and then lua. While this
> may not seem much, take into account that I've started this run of
> packages only a few days ago.
>
> I don't currently provide a native compiler (i.e. running on windows)
> but this should be fairly easy to do. I'm not trying to make it
> possible to build packages on windows however: only cross-compiling
> (both for safety and security, and simplicity).
>
> Of course, the binary packages are re-usable outside of yypkg.
>
> There are no ocaml packages currently (this will take some time,
> mostly because of the need to cross-compile)
>
> I'm mentionning this in order to avoid wasted duplicated efforts.

My take on that: diversity should be a good things and given the
number of potential bugs, this is better to have more than one way to
build stuff. What is a "wasted" duplicated effort is to not take into
consideration integration of your system with another (e.g. prevent
GODI to work with yypkg). I think at best we should work alltogether
toward a good long term solution that will work on Windows. GODI is a
good starting point because it has already a pretty big number of
packages and that I already use it on other platform in my CI system
(and it is very useful for testing/releasing).

As I see yypkg, I think you should focus to provide:
1. binary C packages (iconv, gettext and so on)
2. OCaml + findlib
3. be compatible with GODI binary packages ?

1. don't really overlap with GODI and can help GODI to build C related packages.
2. overlap BUT helps project like odb.ml
3. is optional but would provide a huge bunch of OCaml packages on the
long term.

What do you think about this plan ?

Cheers
Sylvain