On 13/07/2012, Sylvain Le Gall <sylv...@le-gall.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/7/13 Adrien <camarade...@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm mentionning that a bit in advance but I've resumed my work for
>> yypkg (package manager that works on and for windows) and its
>> packages, and I'll be making a more formal announcement in a few days.
>>
>> I've added functions to yypkg and I've reworked packages. Currently, I
>> have packages for binutils, mingw-w64 headers+crt, cross gcc from
>> linux to i686-w64-mingw32, zlib, xz, win-iconv, gettext, libjpeg,
>> expat, and soon freetype, fontconfig, libpng, and then lua. While this
>> may not seem much, take into account that I've started this run of
>> packages only a few days ago.
>>
>> I don't currently provide a native compiler (i.e. running on windows)
>> but this should be fairly easy to do. I'm not trying to make it
>> possible to build packages on windows however: only cross-compiling
>> (both for safety and security, and simplicity).
>>
>> Of course, the binary packages are re-usable outside of yypkg.
>>
>> There are no ocaml packages currently (this will take some time,
>> mostly because of the need to cross-compile)
>>
>> I'm mentionning this in order to avoid wasted duplicated efforts.
>>

> My take on that: diversity should be a good things and given the
> number of potential bugs, this is better to have more than one way to
> build stuff. What is a "wasted" duplicated effort is to not take into
> consideration integration of your system with another (e.g. prevent
> GODI to work with yypkg). I think at best we should work alltogether
> toward a good long term solution that will work on Windows. GODI is a
> good starting point because it has already a pretty big number of
> packages and that I already use it on other platform in my CI system
> (and it is very useful for testing/releasing).
>
> As I see yypkg, I think you should focus to provide:
> 1. binary C packages (iconv, gettext and so on)
> 2. OCaml + findlib
> 3. be compatible with GODI binary packages ?
>
> 1. don't really overlap with GODI and can help GODI to build C related
> packages.
> 2. overlap BUT helps project like odb.ml
> 3. is optional but would provide a huge bunch of OCaml packages on the
> long term.
>
> What do you think about this plan ?

Currently, I don't have OCaml packages. I won't have any until I can
cross-compile them, which won't happen before support for that is
available *upstream* so it won't happen before at least a few months.

In the end, I hope to provide binary packages for ocaml libraries and
tools but there will be the same overlap as there currently is between
godi, odb.ml, and any other package manager for _binaries_.

Right now, I'm mentionning yypkg and its packages for your first
point. If you want to! Be aware that it exists and you can use its
packages and possibly itself too. Unless you dislike it and the other
possible alternatives (opensuse has i686-w64-mingw32 libs too), you
won't have to spend time on C libraries.

--
Adrien Nader