Hi,

2012/7/13 Adrien <camarade...@gmail.com>:
> On 13/07/2012, Sylvain Le Gall <sylv...@le-gall.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 2012/7/13 Adrien <camarade...@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm mentionning that a bit in advance but I've resumed my work for
>>> yypkg (package manager that works on and for windows) and its
>>> packages, and I'll be making a more formal announcement in a few days.
>>>
>>> I've added functions to yypkg and I've reworked packages. Currently, I
>>> have packages for binutils, mingw-w64 headers+crt, cross gcc from
>>> linux to i686-w64-mingw32, zlib, xz, win-iconv, gettext, libjpeg,
>>> expat, and soon freetype, fontconfig, libpng, and then lua. While this
>>> may not seem much, take into account that I've started this run of
>>> packages only a few days ago.
>>>
>>> I don't currently provide a native compiler (i.e. running on windows)
>>> but this should be fairly easy to do. I'm not trying to make it
>>> possible to build packages on windows however: only cross-compiling
>>> (both for safety and security, and simplicity).
>>>
>>> Of course, the binary packages are re-usable outside of yypkg.
>>>
>>> There are no ocaml packages currently (this will take some time,
>>> mostly because of the need to cross-compile)
>>>
>>> I'm mentionning this in order to avoid wasted duplicated efforts.
>>>

>> My take on that: diversity should be a good things and given the
>> number of potential bugs, this is better to have more than one way to
>> build stuff. What is a "wasted" duplicated effort is to not take into
>> consideration integration of your system with another (e.g. prevent
>> GODI to work with yypkg). I think at best we should work alltogether
>> toward a good long term solution that will work on Windows. GODI is a
>> good starting point because it has already a pretty big number of
>> packages and that I already use it on other platform in my CI system
>> (and it is very useful for testing/releasing).
>>
>> As I see yypkg, I think you should focus to provide:
>> 1. binary C packages (iconv, gettext and so on)
>> 2. OCaml + findlib
>> 3. be compatible with GODI binary packages ?
>>
>> 1. don't really overlap with GODI and can help GODI to build C related
>> packages.
>> 2. overlap BUT helps project like odb.ml
>> 3. is optional but would provide a huge bunch of OCaml packages on the
>> long term.
>>
>> What do you think about this plan ?
>
> Currently, I don't have OCaml packages. I won't have any until I can
> cross-compile them, which won't happen before support for that is
> available *upstream* so it won't happen before at least a few months.
>
> In the end, I hope to provide binary packages for ocaml libraries and
> tools but there will be the same overlap as there currently is between
> godi, odb.ml, and any other package manager for _binaries_.
>
> Right now, I'm mentionning yypkg and its packages for your first
> point. If you want to! Be aware that it exists and you can use its
> packages and possibly itself too. Unless you dislike it and the other
> [...]

OK, so if we were at christmas time, I would ask you for "libarchive",
curl, latest pcre maybe xmlm... And if you are really Santa Claus
"gtk" !. At least libarchive/curl are a good match for what I want to
do in oasis-db. It would help me a lot to go forward with oasis-db.

Has I have a Win7 VM and that my first point is to run tests on it, I
will stick to std compilation. Cross-compilation is nice but I think
most of the OCaml tools around will fail (although it seems that the
delta to make it works with OASIS packages is just a few lines to
change in setup.ml, but I want to see it/test it before being sure).

Thx
Sylvain