Am Freitag, den 13.07.2012, 11:02 +0200 schrieb Adrien:
> Hi,
>
> I'm mentionning that a bit in advance but I've resumed my work for
> yypkg (package manager that works on and for windows) and its
> packages, and I'll be making a more formal announcement in a few days.
>
> I've added functions to yypkg and I've reworked packages. Currently, I
> have packages for binutils, mingw-w64 headers+crt, cross gcc from
> linux to i686-w64-mingw32, zlib, xz, win-iconv, gettext, libjpeg,
> expat, and soon freetype, fontconfig, libpng, and then lua. While this
> may not seem much, take into account that I've started this run of
> packages only a few days ago.
>
> I don't currently provide a native compiler (i.e. running on windows)
> but this should be fairly easy to do. I'm not trying to make it
> possible to build packages on windows however: only cross-compiling
> (both for safety and security, and simplicity).
>
> Of course, the binary packages are re-usable outside of yypkg.
>
> There are no ocaml packages currently (this will take some time,
> mostly because of the need to cross-compile)
>
> I'm mentionning this in order to avoid wasted duplicated efforts.

This is definitely useful work - we currently don't have any good source
for libraries.

Regarding ocaml and ocaml packages, I really wonder how cross-compiling
could work (I never considered it for GODI). There are so many packages
that use generators or other helpers, so you really need the ability to
run programs you have just compiled. I mean using Wine for running them
is not really "cross-compiling" in the classical sense.

> PS: use a gcc >= 4.7.0 since *-w64-mingw32 have a different ABI for
> C++ starting with it and sooner or later, there will be a C++ library
> somewhere and it'll be annoying to switch. (I use a gcc 4.7.1 btw)

I don't remember there are any ocaml libraries wrapping C++ libraries
directly. If so, that should only affect a small set.

Gerd
Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    g...@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.
*** Searching for new projects! Need consulting for system
*** programming in Ocaml? Gerd Stolpmann can help you.