Jamie --

I presume your question has to do with the popularity of computing
platforms with a view to selecting the right one(s) for you.

As far as VistA and GT.M are concerned, the majority of VistA usage on
GT.M is on x86 GNU/Linux.  Licenses have been purchased to run VistA on
GT.M on Alpha/AXP OpenVMS.  [Since then, GT.M on Alpha/AXP OpenVMS has
been released as FLOSS; I presume that some of the downloads are to run
VistA, but I just don't know.]

The largest non-VistA GT.M healthcare site runs on IBM pSeries AIX.  The
largest veterinary medicine site runs on x86 GNU/Linux.  Both are among
the largest in the world.

For our Profile banking application, the largest installation (which is
also, to the best of my knowledge, the largest core processing system
that is live anywhere in the world) runs on Sun SPARC Solaris.  The most
popular platform measured by number of sites is IBM pSeries AIX.  The
most popular platform by number of accounts processed is probably
Alpha/AXP OpenVMS, but it probably only leads by a nose.  We also have
customers running Profile on x86 GNU/Linux and HP PA-RISC HP-UX.  Large
banks appear to be not yet ready to trust their mission critical
applications to Windows, but I suspect that will change over time.

I don't think that users on one platform or another (at least among the
UNIXes, OpenVMS and Linux) experience any more or any less issues than
any other.  So, for mission critical applications, I would suggest
deciding based primarily on timeliness and quality of support and
secondarily on value for the money.

Regards
-- Bhaskar