Thanks, Greg.  Comments below.

-- Bhaskar

Greg Woodhouse wrote, on 07/20/2006 06:07 PM:
> VA medical centers generally run Caché/VMS on the Alpha, so if this is
> the direction you want to go, you won't exactly be breaking new ground.
> On the other hand, there are quite a few people on this list who want
> to focus on purely open source solutions from the OS up. Regardless of
> the OS and MUMPS implementation you choose, the *VistA* source will be
> freely available. If you want an open source operating system, your
> choices are Linux, FreeBSD (or its close relatives OpenBSD and NetBSD).

[KSB] Yes, GT.M for x86 GNU/Linux has been reported to run successfully
on FreeBSD using the compatibility library.

> On the Power PC (but not the Intel platform), Darwin (the OS X kernel)
> is also publicly available (but not under a standard open source
> license so far as I know). There may be other options I'm not aware of.
> The two most common options for the MUMPS implementation are Caché (an
> InterSystems product, and not open source) and GT.M (which Fidelity
> makes available as open soure on IA-32 but is not generally available
> as open source on other platforms).

[KSB] It is also available as FLOSS for Tru64 UNIX & OpenVMS on
Alpha/AXP.  The latter source code has not been uploaded to Source Forge
yet, but will be when the binaries for V5.1-000 are ready.  Binaries for
the previous release are available today.