VA medical centers generally run Caché/VMS on the Alpha, so if this is
the direction you want to go, you won't exactly be breaking new ground.
On the other hand, there are quite a few people on this list who want
to focus on purely open source solutions from the OS up. Regardless of
the OS and MUMPS implementation you choose, the *VistA* source will be
freely available. If you want an open source operating system, your
choices are Linux, FreeBSD (or its close relatives OpenBSD and NetBSD).
On the Power PC (but not the Intel platform), Darwin (the OS X kernel)
is also publicly available (but not under a standard open source
license so far as I know). There may be other options I'm not aware of.
The two most common options for the MUMPS implementation are Caché (an
InterSystems product, and not open source) and GT.M (which Fidelity
makes available as open soure on IA-32 but is not generally available
as open source on other platforms).

Me, I don't work for either of these companies and try to remain
neutral to the extnt that I can. If I've failed in this respect, I
apologize.

--- Jamie Hussey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm running the windows version, and HUI4. I like to try it on VMS
> later
> on. I'm interested to know what everyone uses for there live
> environment. All of our existing system run either on Unix or VMS, I
> do
> have less critical systems running server 2003(3M, Dictaphone, PBX's,
> etc..etc).
>
> Jamie

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Judge a man by his questions not his answers."
--Voltaire