My $0.02:

I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Valve only ported
the games because they had to. The real motive here is Steam.

Selling Mac software is very different to selling PC software. For PC
games, it makes perfect sense to put a boxed copy on a shelf where
people can go to a shop and buy it.
For the Mac, however, their users are much more spread out, and
therefore putting a boxed copy on a shelf isn't such a good idea. Most
Mac software houses realised this a long time ago and sell their
software via digital distribution instead. Most don't even make boxed
copies. Mac games however have never quite got there and still sell
mainly boxed copies.

The current state of Mac ports of games (with a few exceptions) is
that a developer will develop a game for Windows, release it, and then
pass their code to a third-party developer (Aspyr is an example), who
will then port the game to OS X and sell it. The problem here is that
it can take a team such as the one at Aspyr a year to port a game to
OS X, by which time the game's hype is almost non-existant, and
because the porter, the original developer, and the publisher all need
to make a profit, the game is sold at full-price, while the prices of
the other platforms is significantly reduced, making the OS X port
very unattractive.

While it make take a third-party porting company a year to port the
game to another platform, the original developer could port the game
much faster and for a much lower cost, especially if the Mac is a
release platform. Problem is, they don't bother because they don't
want to have to deal with trying desperately to distribute it
digitally themselves.

Valve have spotted an opportunity here. What they're doing is they're
bringing a digital distribution platform that is mature and one that
many developers already have experience using to the Mac. By doing
this, they will (hopefully) entice many other developers to move their
games to the Mac themselves because a distribution method that still
gives them a higher-than-normal (compared to boxed copies) profit
margin is available.

So, why have Valve moved their games to OS X and not just Steam?
Well, there's a number of reasons
1) They need something to launch Steam on the Mac with!!
2) If they didn't, other developers would have no reason to have any
confidence in Steam for Mac.
3) Valve now have some valuable knowledge and experience in porting to
OS X that they can use to help other developers in porting their games
to OS X. This is useful because while Valve are giving away techniques
that they've spent considerable money trying to develop, more Mac
games on Steam = more profit!

So, to sum up, the people who are looking at existing market figures
shouldn't be. Valve aren't trying to move in on the existing market.
They're trying to create one.

Bucky