There's a thread on SPUF about it:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2199895

I haven't had any crashes since using the Steam beta client.

On 10/28/2011 2:32 PM, Loïc PERY wrote:
Client crash sometimes when we look at tab panel (score, etc ...)

got crash 1/4 times.

did you know this client crash valve ?

2011/10/28 Jason Ruymen<jas...@valvesoftware.com>

Required updates for Team Fortress 2 are now available.  The specific
changes include:

- Halloween 2011 Event
   - Viaduct has been haunted and is now... Eyeaduct!
   - One full multi-piece costume set has been added for each class
   - Random gifts containing costume pieces drop in Eyeaduct on registered
servers
   - 2 new Halloween 2011 achievements
   - Any unusual hats uncrated during the event will be Halloween-themed
   - New Halloween-themed items are available in the Mann Co. store, but
only for a limited time!
- Updated effects for The Cow Mangler 5000
- Updated in-game abuse reporting tool to include option for reporting
abusive game servers
- Added mapcycle_halloween containing all Halloween event maps
- Fixed team colors and styles not updating properly in store previews
- Fixed bug in reputation trend status display for registered servers
- Fixed a problem that could cause repeated stutters after joining a server
- Fixed the Spine-Chilling Skull not appearing when equipped by soldiers
- New Halloween-themed community-created items submitted to the Workshop
are now available in the Mann Co. store!

Jason