I'm not sure this is that big of a deal.

I've yet to see a single sane suggestion on how they police bad servers
other than "have people report them", which sounds like a bad idea for many
hopefully obvious reasons.

These are just video game servers; you aren't making money off them, if
they sit empty you aren't losing money off them either [more than the cost
of running the server, which you're already doing]. And if you are (making
or losing money), then I would say Valve wants to put those kind of servers
out, as they generally fart up the experience with donation requests, or
donor perks, annoying MOTDs, sound packs, or whatever else you crazy
SourceMod kiddies do nowadays.

People here are acting as if this some last stand situation.