What people don't get: New server communities have no way to establish
themselves anymore.

Every single time people tout how "Your servers are dead anyway if
they rely on quickplay", "My servers don't need quickplay", great. But
how exactly are newcomers supposed to get to that stage?
New players are almost forced to use quickplay at this point. If these
players never leave this system, and now don't even get connected to
community servers by default, how are server operators supposed to get
those regular players onto their servers? There is no way to do that.
You can literally offer the best experience possible, but people won't
search for and let alone even find your server.

We have gotten a pretty stable amount of regulars in the time we've
been doing this. Largely because quickplay allowed us to kickstart
that development immensely. We can offer a good experience to a lot of
returning players, but where should we find new players now? Not only
do we need them in some of the slower times when our core playerbase
is partly absent, to have the server still be full with a mix of QP
and returning players. But also regulars won't be staying around
forever. The natural development in the playerbase is gone if all new
players are drained towards Valve servers in the future.

Right now we could afford to not care about this. But it's simply
ignorant and a dick move to just move along and even defend this
decision. It hurts your peers, and in the long run it will hurt you.
This is not a good way, I want it to change.