At 18.10 13/10/2003 -0600, Neal Richter wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> 3) Fixing the 'Accept-Encoding' bug of the HTTP 1/1 protocol (see bug
> #594790). My solution, waiting to correctly handle gzipped contents (if you
> think it is reasonable doing it now, I could think about that) is just to
> send an empty 'Accept-Encoding' header, which lets the server know that our
> user agent is only able to manage document with the 'identity' encoding.
> Otherwise - the actual case - if no header is sent, the server assumes we
> can handle every kind of encoding.

I'll leave this up to you. Does your fix solve the problem completely?

I have committed the simple patch, which solves the bug #594790. Now the request - according to me - becomes a feature request, that is to say to handle the compressed contents.

This should not be a problem, but IMHO could lead to some portability problems that I would rather avoid now. Indeed, we should enable it only if zlib is present. Let me know.

Now, the HTTP request always includes an empty Accept-Encoding header (this informs the server that htdig is only able to manage documents that are not encoded. Before, no Accept-Encoding was sent, letting the server assume that the client was capable of handling every content encoding - i.e. zipped documents with Apache's mod_gzip module.

1) Is your potential code fix large?

The fix is extremely simple (one line) and should not lead to problems.

2) Can it be fixed in a timely manner?

Yep. Done.

3) Is is important enough to delay 3.2?

I refer this question to the feature request. I think this is not urgent and I consider 3.2 more important than adding this feature, even though I suggest putting it into the TODO list for the next release.

4) Does the bug affect enough users to be important in the short-term?

Potentially yes. Indeed, for mod_gzip Apache servers this could have led to some problems.

Ciao
-Gabriele
--
Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, ht://Dig & IWA/HWG Member, ht://Check maintainer
Current Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia