According to Gabriele Bartolini:
> At 13.45 22/10/2003 -0600, Neal Richter wrote:
> >   OK, you've convinced me, it IS useful to have this switch be user
> >controlled..  I wasn't aware of the non-compliant servers causing an
> >issue.  Clearly 'automatic' behavior in that case is a bad thing.
> >Go with option 2.
>
> Roger that. :-)

I guess the only safe way to automate the selection of this would be
for htdig to keep track, on a server by server basis, to see if a server
responds favourably to HEAD requests.  If it doesn't, then it would turn
off this action for this server, but otherwise it seems it would almost
always be an advantage to keep it on.  But now we're getting into the
area of feature requests, not bug fixes, so this should wait till after
the upcoming release.

If I'm not mistaken, as the code now stands, htdig will assume a document
is inaccessible if the HEAD request fails, and so it won't try the GET on
that document at all (unless head_before_get is explicitly set to false).
So, properly automating this selection would require some code changes
to the HtHTTP classs to implement this -- not something we want to start
monkeying with at the eleventh hour before release.

I think the current compromise is best, but it should be given a good
pounding to make sure it's solid.

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/