The overall question I have is this (it was pointed out by someone in a
earlier mail):

Given that calling HEAD enables us to short-ciruit files with invalid
mime-types.. isn't it nearly always benefitial to call HEAD, even when
doing an 'initial-dig'?

The answer to this question may influence your choice of what to commit,
but the description below looks good to me if we want to never call HEAD
during an initial dig.

Thanks.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:

> >   I think what we've had here is informative debate.  You as much as
> >anyone else wrote the networking code, so for me it's your decision.  I
> >think the new TRUE default is fine.
>
> OK. Any other opinions?
>
> >   If you've perfected this logic in ht://Check, then we should probably
> >consider syncing with your net code after 3.2 is done.
>
> So ... is it ok for you guys if I go on with the Retriever, Document and
> HtHTTP patch as suggested in the previous e-mails?
>
> Basically, in order to perform always a HEAD call during an incremental
> indexing, I need to store the information in both the Retriever and
> Document class. Is that right for you? In particular, I suggest this enum:
>
>          enum  RetrieverType {
>                  Retriever_Initial,
>                  Retriever_Incremental
>          };
>
> and then change the constructor this way:
>
>          Retriever(RetrieverLog flags = Retriever_noLog, RetrieverType t =
> Retriever_Initial);
>
> In 'htdig.cc', we check whether the dig is an initial dig or not and:
>
>          if(!initial) // Switch the retriever type to Incremental
>                  retriever_type = Retriever_Incremental;
>
> therefore, when we instantiate the main retriever object, we just simply
> add this:
>
>          Retriever retriever(Retriever_logUrl, retriever_type);
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Ciao and thanks,
> -Gabriele
> --
> Gabriele Bartolini: Web Programmer, ht://Dig & IWA/HWG Member, ht://Check
> maintainer
> Current Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.prato.linux.it/~gbartolini | ICQ#129221447
>  > "Leave every hope, ye who enter!", Dante Alighieri, Divine Comedy, The
> Inferno

Neal Richter
Knowledgebase Developer
RightNow Technologies, Inc.