Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

In <4e38932c.2030...@bcs.org.uk>, on 08/03/2011
  at 01:15 AM, CM Poncelet <ponce...@bcs.org.uk> said:

... but open for output, followed by write, works - whereas open for input, followed by read, doesn't (it fails with an "I/O ERR"): that
is a fact, not an opinion.

No, it is not a fact. It is a fact that you can cause an I/O error
with an incorrect BLKSIZE. It is false that you always get an I/O
error when you override dataset attributes on input.

But I should get *no* I/O error at all on read if the DCB precedence rules for output apply also to input, as is asserted (... not by me).

So unless the "I/O ERR" is actually the desired outcome, it is an
error.

A user error.

If the dataset is thought to be in error, raise a PMR with IBM.

Don't create a PMR for a user error.

Otherwise it is the program's merged DCB that is in error - which is what I am saying.

That isn't what you have been saying. You have been confusing open
with read and confusing the DSCB1 with the dataset itself.