On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:00:00 GMT, Ted MacNEIL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Don't forget to add in the cost of the periodic IFASMDFP jobs that copy
>the SMF data from the SYS1.MANx datasets
>
>I make those IMP=5.
>The cost is nothing, since I bought the machine for other work.
>IFASMFDP fills in the valleys that would not be used if they weren't there!

Are you in a large shop now?  How busy are your processors?   In our
shop (where we like to run all the processors close to 100% all day),
putting SMF dumps at the bottom of the totem pole would never work.
You have to be able to dump them faster than they fill up.   We just
had a recent thread on that.  I don't have them in SYSSTC, but they are
IMP=2.  At one of my former clients (that produced even more SMF data
than we do) we ran the dumps in a service class with IMP=1.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group