Bruce Black wrote:

Can't remember the command to remove the entry from the base but keep the dataset or, for another example get rid altogether.

a DEFERRED generation is not really part of the base. In the catalog, there is a GDG sphere record for the base, with all the generations within it. A deferred gen is cataloged outside that sphere as a normal non-VSAM dataset. However, catalog knows that it is related to the base. If you want to unrelate it, I think you can just rename it to a non-GDG. However, there is a flag in the NVR that says "I am a deferred generation" (probably in the catalog as well) and I don't know what trouble that might cause later.

AFAIK, deferred dataset can be tricky:
//  DD DSN=GDG.BASE(+1),DISP=(NEW,CATLG)
will not create new dataset, existing deferred da=GDS will be used instead.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland