On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 22:23:53 +0530, Kazim Zaidi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On 13-Nov-07, at 8:13 PM, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> >         Could you please elaborate? Do you have specifics in mind
>> > where Debian is either "purist friendly" or not "user friendly", but a
>> > Debian derivative has markedly different behaviour?

> Well, my ignorance doesn't allow me to participate in a flamewar here.

        I am sorry to not be able to help you out here.  My desire is to
 have a dialogue, not to engage in flame wars, so if it is a flame you
 desire, you have to look elsewhere.  Why _would_ you prefer us to flame
 each other, though, out of curiosity?

> But the point that I want to convey was that Ubuntu & Debian have very
> different goals. Ubuntu insists on user-friendliness and targets
> desktop users primarily, while Debian would aim for stability and
> originality.

        Your claims about the target for Debian come as a surprise to
 me. I have always thought that the goal of Debian was to be the best
 distribution of Linux ever, and sacrificing user friendliness seems to
 be contrary to that goal.

        Could you please show me where Debian says it strives solely for
 stability and originality, at the expense of other characteristics?
 Perhaps I am missing out on something here.

> In particular read here http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/56

        Mark is a fairly new Debian developer, so I would not place a
 great deal of faith in his articulation of what Debian's goals
 are. Indeed, canonical's financial success derives from peoples belief
 that somehow canonical's product line is better than Debian, so ...

        As he confesses in that article, he does not really have a good
 handle on what the goals of Debian are. I am there fore overjoyed to
 hear that you have an idea on what Debian wants to do.

        Could you please elaborate, perhaps from the writings of someone
 who knows Debian better, what you think Debian's goals are?  I know a
 lot of people who would be very interested.

        manoj
--
Q: How many IBM CPU's does it take to execute a job? A: Four; three to
hold it down, and one to rip its head off.