Vikas> Also, it was mentioned in a post as part of this thread how an upgrade
Vikas> gives you a system very different from a fresh install. That is indeed
Vikas> true and, in my view, a weakness that Ubuntu needs to attend
Vikas> to.

I have been watching this thread with interest.  The statement above
has intrigued me but I could not find any details/explanations around
this.  Can someone please tell in what ways will an upgraded and a
fresh installed system differ?  I migrated to Debian Sid (full-time)
in Jan '04 and kept upgrading incrementally till I bought a new
computer a few months ago and I still follow the same routine of
aptitude update & upgrade as and when I need or fancy.  I wonder if I
am missing something here.  I am just an Average Jai luser so I may
not be stressing my system enough.

Vikas> Debian would be better on this. You will never need to do a fresh
Vikas> install of a debian system because upgrade is not as good as a fresh
Vikas> install. My intention is not to get into a debian v/s ubuntu debate.

In Dec '03 my system was taken over by virii and I was looking for
recommendations for a distro when soneone on IRC said "if you want to
start easy but are willing to face difficulties later, go for $distro
but if you are willing to put in some effort in the beginning and have
it easy later, go for Debian".  I still hardly understand inernals and
intricacies but then I never needed to.

I know above might sound like flamebait but it's really not, I am just
sharing my enthusiasm for my favourite distro.

--
Manish