> There's nothing really wrong with that distribution cycle. In fact, time
> based release cycle is a good balance between features and quality.
> If you're not able to keep pace with the releases, know that they are
> supported for 18 months. And the LTS (like Dapper Drake) are supported
> for 18 months.

I could be wrong, and if I am, please do correct me. LTS is supported
for 18 months. Releases in between are supported for 6 months (isn't
it). Also, my experience has been that in case of upgrading (as against fresh
installation), you have to upgrade to the immediate next release. So
you would not be able to upgrade from dapper to feisty directly. You
would have to first upgrade to edgy and then to feisty. Similarly, you
could upgrade to gutsy only from feisty. There is no way that I know
of upgrading from edgy to gutsy directly.

Fresh installation would mean that I have to configure all the
software all over again: postfix, mysql, apache....It would be a
really long list, and would take me quite a few days to implement.

For now, I am okay upgrading every six months.

Somewhat unrelated: I recently upgraded our department server from debian
sarge to debian etch without any trouble and almost without
discontinuing its services. It was really nice to see it happen so
smoothly!!

Vikas