> LTS is Long Term Support - therefore, LTS (U/Kubuntu
> 6.06 is supported upto 2009 (36 months) for security
> (and other) updates fro the desktop edition, whereas
> the server edition is supported upto 2011 (5 years).

What does "support" refer to? That Ubuntu provides security patches
etc. for this period?

The problem still remains that a lot of software gets outdated sooner
than the "long-term" and later versions accessible only through
backports.

I would not want to use 6.06 until 2009, when later and hugely
improved versions of various packages and ubuntu itself are available.

A user has two options: use a long-term version which has a
release cycle of 3/5 years or use short-term versions which have a
release cycle of 6 months.

Let me reiterate my view: Ubuntu needs medium-term releases with a
more liberal upgrading policy in between these releases. These
medium-term releases should replace the present 6-monthly releases.

Also, it was mentioned in a post as part of this thread how an upgrade
gives you a system very different from a fresh install. That is indeed
true and, in my view, a weakness that Ubuntu needs to attend
to. Debian would be better on this. You will never need to do a fresh
install of a debian system because upgrade is not as good as a fresh
install. My intention is not to get into a debian v/s ubuntu debate.

Vikas