Hi Andrea,

On Mon, February 2, 2015 23:54, Andrea Faulds wrote:
> Hi Danack,
>

>> On 2 Feb 2015, at 22:50, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2 February 2015 at 19:11, Anatol Belski <anatol....@belski.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The voting ends on 2015-02-09 at 21:00 CET.
>>>

>> This is a ridiculously short voting period for a major decision.
>> Although the minimum voting time for an RFC is one week, that should
>> only be used in extremis.
>
> I wouldn’t say one week is “in extremis” - it’s reasonable for small,
> self-contained, BC break-less new features. Although at least 10 days is
> usually better.
This topic was spoken long before the discussion was started. It's also
not that the subjects would be erased from existence, they'll be moved to
a separate branch, that's all. Furthermore, they're available for a while
in the lower branches (non PHP7 ported, so almost the same state). And
anyone interested is free to resurrect something or put into PECL.

> That being said, I agree. This kind of thing shouldn’t be taken lightly,
> and this RFC should have a longer voting period.
>
>> The people affected by this decision are not likely to read PHP
>> internals every day or even every week.
>
> Yeah, I agree here. The fact there’s not been much discussion attests to
> that.
>
> +1

We could hold this open far much longer, that's true. However that
obviously wouldn't help us to find maintainers for that stuff. On the
other hand - it would really bring PHP7 forward getting rid of things
where everyone agrees. As not having to do --disable-all all the time is a
certain plus. One needs not much time to check that.

I'd really suggest to put a "yes" or "no" at this point and have it done.
Whereby some "no" from an active developer in this case IMHO would mean
not just "no, that should stay in the core", but "yes, i'll help to port
and maintain it". However nobody is forced to mean or guarantee that, just
that at the end we can end up with some non ported pieces of core. IMHO we
should kick out what obviously doesn't fit anymore and move forward, as
the PHP7 deadline is quite tight.

Regards

Anatol