Pierre Joye wrote on 03/02/2015 09:14:
On Feb 3, 2015 4:06 PM, "Lester Caine" <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
On 03/02/15 08:44, Matteo Beccati wrote:
Marius Adrian Popa has stated to maintain both, and looks like there
several active users who will use that. So going by that, it's not
being
voted on these exts.
I must have missed that, sorry for the noise.
This is a bit of the problem here. There is a substantial Firebird user
base who like wordpress and joomla users have no knowledge of what is
going on in the background to keep their platform working. Often we
don't find out about things - 'they get missed' - but similarly just
treading water takes too much time today so following development on
everything we do use often takes second place?

I wonder if ANY mssql users have noticed that they may be left out of
PHP7 ... I suspect that may actually have a bigger user base than the
paid for 'Interbase' yet it's got no support here.
For mssql, most of them (while we see more and more requests from linux
lately) are on windows. And mssql support has been removed with the release
of 5.3.0. Since 2 years they use sqlsrv from pecl.

For what it's worth, we've been running a Linux + MS SQL setup for around 10 years, due to a previous migration from Classic ASP to PHP. We originally used ext/mssql, and moved to ext/pdo_dblib with PHP 5.4 (previous versions didn't support nextRowset(), which made it unusable). Both run smoothly on current Ubuntu builds with FreeTDS installed.

While we've almost succeeded in deprecating the legacy DBs in favour of Postgres, it could easily happen that someone is just starting down the same route now, and would want to know what driver will work best with PHP 7.

As others have hinted, maybe there could be a table somewhere of the recommended drivers (and db-specific exts, where applicable) to use for different OS/DB combinations? This could answer both "if I'm a PHP user, which configuration should I be choosing for reasonable future-proofing?" and "if I'm an extension developer, where should I be contributing features?".

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]