On 03/02/15 12:37, Rowan Collins wrote:
> For what it's worth, we've been running a Linux + MS SQL setup for
> around 10 years, due to a previous migration from Classic ASP to PHP. We
> originally used ext/mssql, and moved to ext/pdo_dblib with PHP 5.4
> (previous versions didn't support nextRowset(), which made it unusable).
> Both run smoothly on current Ubuntu builds with FreeTDS installed.
>
> While we've almost succeeded in deprecating the legacy DBs in favour of
> Postgres, it could easily happen that someone is just starting down the
> same route now, and would want to know what driver will work best with
> PHP 7.
I've still got some ASP sites, and have been using mssql in much the
same way but those sites will remain with PHP5.2 and the replacements
will be on the modern framework.

> As others have hinted, maybe there could be a table somewhere of the
> recommended drivers (and db-specific exts, where applicable) to use for
> different OS/DB combinations? This could answer both "if I'm a PHP user,
> which configuration should I be choosing for reasonable
> future-proofing?" and "if I'm an extension developer, where should I be
> contributing features?".
I think third part libraries like ADOdb probably need a similar
treatment. My use of mssql is via that and other legacy drivers are
similarly wrapped, but tagging alternative paths there can only help,
and is something I can document.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL