Noel J. Bergman wrote:

I would check MIME type, file extension, and most importantly the
magic, to make sure that they all match. Any failure to match
would be suspect, regardless of what the A/V program says. I
think you misunderstood my earlier point.

In truth I must have done, I *still* wouldn't like to trust that those
things weren't being hijacked though, even the magic.

Exactly. So if an attachment has MIME type T then it should have one of the
known extensions for MIME type T and it should have the correct magic. That
way if an attachment claims to be MIME type "image/jpeg", then it must have
an extension of .jpeg, jpg or jpe, [snip]

Try telling a Mac-user (or a Unix-user) that he *must* put a file-extension on the filename ;-)
As far as I know, only Windows and VMS require a file extension in the filename.

But I think we are all talking about the same thing, all parts have to be scanned, and a general mailet should not (even cannot) have any knowledge of the specifics of it.

/tobe