> Try telling a Mac-user (or a Unix-user) that he *must* put a
> file-extension on the filename ;-)

If there isn't an extension, then it doesn't need to match.  :-)

> As far as I know, only Windows and VMS require a file extension in the
> filename.

Actually, that's part of the problem.  Although the "front end" of Windows
cares about extensions, if I recall correctly, the loader only cares about
the file format.  For example, you could hack the registry to and create a
new executable file extension fairly easily.

        --- Noel