On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Patrick Spingys wrote:

> And here have a look under
> http://www.transvirtual.com/kaffe.html
> there stand:
>
> Kaffe is available under the Open Source Initiative and
> comes with complete source code, distributed under
> the GNU Public License (GPL).
>
> And yours is only distributet under the LGPL. :-(
> Why, why, why ?

Non "free" alternatives exist to Japhar (I.E.: Sun's Java) so it's unwise to
license under the GPL.  Even Stallman agrees with this.

Personally, although I'm not on the Japhar dev. team, I think the LGPL affords
you plenty of freedom to work with the library.  LGPL explicitly allows code
(I.E. JNI stuff) to be linked against Japhar without being also free, so all
commercial Java stuff can eventually work under it.

--
Glyph Lefkowitz