> Personally, although I'm not on the Japhar dev. team, I think the LGPL affords
> you plenty of freedom to work with the library.  LGPL explicitly allows code
> (I.E. JNI stuff) to be linked against Japhar without being also free, so all
> commercial Java stuff can eventually work under it.

 Kaffe's GPL allows you to load and run proprietary Java classes and
JNI libraries.

In the case of JVMs, the difference between LGPL and GPL comes in when you
look at embedding the VM itself as a library in a proprietary product.  This
is possible with Japhar, but not with Kaffe.

Without specific reference to the post to which I'm replying:
In general, I'd like it if we simply accepted the choice of license that
the developers of a given project made.  This is especially true if the
discussion is about what variety of open source license is being used.
After all, it's them who wrote and license the code to us.

        - Godmar