> On Mon, 22 Mar 1999 12:23:02 Godmar Back wrote:
>
> > In the case of JVMs, the difference between LGPL and GPL comes in when you
> > look at embedding the VM itself as a library in a proprietary product.  This
> > is possible with Japhar, but not with Kaffe.
>
> This sounds reasonable.  I am curious about one thing, though.  Wouldn't it
> make more sense if the AWT and Java emulation classes of Kaffe were put under
> the LGPL so that other LGPL projects could use them?

 This is a theoretical question.  If you are involved in a specific project
and want to use Kaffe or parts of it in a specific manner, you should contact
the kaffe developers and ask them whether it's okay.  They may tell you yes
under the GPL, they may say no (meaning you could or would have to buy a
license), or they may issue a specific license for your project to use.

The truth is that there are no proven and established guidelines for when
the LGPL or GPL can be used.  The whole idea of the GPL and LGPL is to dis-
courage open source from being used in proprietary projects.  To a large
extent, this works.  It works because of the cloud of legal uncertainty
surrounding the GPL licenses.

        - Godmar