On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM, clay <claytonw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 11:21:48 AM UTC-5, Josh Berry wrote:
>>
>> Pretty sure c/c++ will remain the best cross platform option for a long
>> time.  Whatever promise of Java and related languages as providing cross
>> platform environments, this just never happened.  Closest would actually be
>> .net and friends, I believe.
>>
>> The Java cross platform model targets Win/Mac/Linux workstations and it
> does that extremely well. It's not just cross platform, but largely write
> once, run anywhere, where same compiled .jar file can run on Win/Mac/Linux.

Apologies, I was a definitely too absolute in my claim.  I was more just
going on admittedly anecdotal evidence that most truly cross platform
applications that aren't a) ugly, or b) dog slow are not written in Java
and related languages.  I'm definitely open to counters.

But, once you get that list made, compare it to the number of applications
that are heavily used in many platforms and the language they used.  From
the Kernel, which is on near everything, to browsers.  Mozilla is at least
making a stab with a new language that will compete with C/C++.  It isn't
clear this will win, though.

> Most high-level languages are extremely cross platform. Lua, for example,
> is extremely cross platform and is often used on top of a C-based game
> engine.

Lua doesn't try to be "the language" that you write your application in,
though.  Or does it nowdays?  Last I saw, it was picked specifically
because it was easy to embed in a C program.

Many languages like Haskell, usually just compile down to C, so I don't see
> why those would be less cross platform friendly.

I want to agree with you, but I would prefer evidence.   :)

Also, and I apologize if this is basically goal post shifting, but when I
refer to cross platform, I don't necessarily mean just linux/mac/windows.
I mean something that can run on the raspberry pi, or aduino, or *any*
phone/tablet/whatever.  Obviously, not just any C program can be made to
fit this bill.  But, to my knowledge, no Java program can.  (Of course,
maybe Angry Birds is all it takes to prove me wrong.  Or Scumm games, in
general.  :) )