Hi Jens,

[...]
The header line is most problematic in my case (and maybe others) as I
use the very cool tabbar.el by David Ponce (which is unexplainable to me
still not part of standard emacs...) - So putting something there
exclusively doesn't work for me.
[...]

FYI, you can use tabbar-local-mode to temporarily show/hide the tab
bar when the header line is currently in use with the current
buffer. This is useful, for example, in info mode, or when ruler mode,
or semantic stickyfunc mode is enabled. tabbar-local-mode is
particularly useful if assigned a keyboard shortcut. My personal
choice is:

(global-set-key [(control f10)] 'tabbar-local-mode)

Sincerely,
David