I didn’t see the show and I don’t know about the nuns, but just a few years ago
I remember having a discussion here on Arachne about hand-made lace still being
commercially made. There was some report - either on TV or in print, I’m not
sure - that mentioned two places:  India, and China. I remember that the girls
in India would get about $1 per day for making lace. I think the Chinese girls
got less; I may have this wrong.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)