I'm not sure if it still happens, in the mid 1970's the Indian government were trying to support rural industries by selling their wares in government sponsored shops in touristy areas of India, such as Delhi and what was Bombay. I bought a number of items in these stores, dresses embroidered with mirrors and a nightie and dressing gown hand embroidered with handmade bobbin lace trims. I still have many of the items I bought since they were very good quality and reasonably cheap for what they were. So 40 years ago bobbin lace was being made commercially even if on a small scale.

Anna from a very wet Sydney