L505 a écrit :
I'm a complete atheist and still share much of you POV because Brazil
is largely (and my family is) Catholic (so I have some idea of what
these people IMHO-stupid people think. Unfortunately, I don't know
why,  intelligent + phylosophical + logicist <> atheist...)

"Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will
come to you
if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if
you lose,
you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists. " -- Blaise
Pascal

The Pascal bet? There are lots of critics.
1) Believing in a god just to "gain all"? What an admirable faith!
2) "You lose nothing"! Of course not. If I choose to believe in god
to gain all (but all what?), I have to follow the religion precepts.
In particular, I lose all the religion forbids in my current life.
3) Pascal implicitly claims there are only two possibilities : 'No god,
no eternal life' or 'A god and an eternal life'. What about, 'A god
and no eternal life'? Yes, I agree, that's much less pleasant.

Being atheist means you "beleive" that he does not exist.

Certainly not. Not seeing something where there is nothing and where
it is not necessary that there is something is not a belief, it is
a knowledge. I don't "not to believe" that there is a Rammstein CD in
orbit around Pluto, I do know there is none (but don't ask me to prove
it, I cannot).

> This, in my opinion, is just
as bad as beleiving he does exist. Becuase you are saying you believe he
doesn't exist.
But you don't know. Therefore, most atheists are labelling themselves in the
wrong
category - IMO, all atheists should convert to "agnostic".. which is much more intelligent of a decision, IMO.

It is not a decision, it is a name :-)

BTW, don't be offended if ever I do no more answer that kind of
post. I _believe_ that, there, we are vastly OT.

mm