I don't want to put down Lazarus because I think it has tremendous potential and like the others here I love the cross-platform capability. On the other hand I have yet to be able to accomplish any serious project with it. I've run into a series of issues with just about every component I've tried to use . So I usually hang up my hat and break out Kylix again.

A definite plus is that the core libraries that I've written will compile with either Borland or FPC. I use FPC almost completely for command line stuff. I just need to be able to crank out some GUI stuff without having to loose time to debugging the libraries.

Now that I've "upgraded" (not sure it was an improvement) my workstation to Debian 4.0 I can no longer run Kylix. :-) This means that I too will soon be joining the ranks of Lazarus contributors in any way that I can.

-Jon

Lee Jenkins wrote:
hy-soft wrote:
Hi,

I am monitoring lazarus for about five years now and find the whole
project is very impressive.

You guys did a great job - but unfortunately the IDE is NOT in some
state that could be used for a productive work (IMHO).

I've been using Lazarus on Windows seriously for about a year now and I've become pretty damn productive with it. I don't use it on Linux a lot (yet), but the occasions that I have used it on linux, my experience is pretty much about the same on windows, less the nooberific state of my linux knowledge of course.

Are you talking in the context of the IDE compared to Visual Studio, Delphi 2007? I started Delphi with version 6 so Lazarus to me is very comparable. I have recently purchased Delphi 2007 and I must say, it really is a very nice IDE. $400.00 U.S was the upgrade price I think, but I have yet to use it for a serious project since I've been using Lazarus.

I've been using Lazarus because I want my current projects to be cross-platform. That is the value for me and my customers. As nice as Delphi2007 IDE *really* is, it doesn't compile cross-platform or even to 64 bit, but Lazarus does. And what's more, Lazarus is on par with Delphi6 (IMO) IDE which makes it the most workable, viable and robust solution for using ObjectPascal to build apps portable between platforms.

For me, the cross platform nature (and close compatibility to delphi) of Lazaurs provides enough built in value (not to mention the price :)) to adapt myself to using it with the features it offers now.

Like me, you're probably impressed with the increased level of traffic and involvement there is in the freepascal and lazarus projects over the last couple of years. Its enough to give me the confidence to use lazarus/freepascal for some production, commercial products.

Welcome Back!

--
Jon Foster
JF Possibilities, Inc.