From: David Douthitt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 01, 2002 3:39 AM
To: LEAF Development
Subject: Re: [Leaf-devel] Re: Standards and due process :-)

On 2/28/02 at 4:24 PM, Serge Caron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For example, LEAF/LRP has in its unwritten feature set
> that users must log in. I have on occasions removed
> tinylogin and replaced the getty lines in
> /etc/inittab with /bin/ash < /dev/ttyn > /dev/ttyn 2>&1.

This is similar to what Trinux does - no login.

> Don't want to commit to gnu's sed? Use busybox sed during
> the load sequence and let the user supply whatever he
> wants.

Oxygen doesn't use sed during boot.

> I want the user to float the baseline any way
> she sees fit for her situation. I don't WANT to provide packages for
> everything that she MAY want! When she finds a sed she likes, she
> decides how and where it will be packaged. As long the tools to do so
> are available, who cares what is running in system xyz?

With the maximal fragmentation in Oxygen, one can strip out GNU sed for
minised (or whatever) if it is desired - just rm sed.lrp and put in the
desired msed.lrp...

It sounds almost like you want a "minimal set" of enumerated binaries and
functions, and then Oxygen would add set X and Dachstein would add set Y.

It sounds like ANSI FORTH (did I say this before?).  ANSI FORTH has a CORE
Word Set, and a FLOAT Word Set, etc.  An ANSI compliant FORTH may have a
minimal number of Sets, but if they are compliant then it is "ANSI Compliant
with the CORE, [...etc...] Word Sets."

Is this what you have in mind?