Correcting subject line..... Done :)

I honestly cannot express myself in very fluently in English.

Therefore, you will have to bear with me for a while. Try to
rearrange my sentences so that they make some sense.

Comments below start with <LC>

[snip]
>Adding water to a boiling and already full kettle...

Unless you are aware of something specific, all I see here are adults having
a conversation and agreeing on having different point of views. Yours is
welcomed as well.

<LC> :) I'm only aware of a 'almost' religion-like discussion. Of course
reading your conversation makes me aware of how little I do know about
different several standards and processes exist. So my 'adding water' phrase
was meant to be a joke.

[snip]
>All we will need then is to backup only the ???-conf.lrp files.

You are squarely putting pressure on the packaging without having agreed
that there is a packaging standard to begin with. At this point in time we
have a de facto packaging standard, the tar gziped file with manifest in
var/lib/lrpkg/file.list. In theory, there are no sacred cows and this could
be revisited as well.

<LC>
I agree with you that we do have a 'de facto packaging standard' as you
pointed
out.

My point was only:
In order to 'simplify' the simple act of packaging, from the user's point of
view,
we should split what does not need to be backed up from what does!

I read almost every day that user X using distro Y backed up root.lrp and
destroyed her/his boot floppy!

Since that, with my idea, root.lrp would not even appear in the backup
script screen,
the user would be protected from her/himself!

You know, must Windows guys like me are teached from the early beginning to
reboot,
reboot and reboot whenever something simple as a mouse change occours.
That 'teaching' makes us do very wrong things like backup and reboot.

Well, now I'm digressing... but I guess that you'll see the picture.

As for the rest of your comments, I must leave the discussion as it is :)

I will most certainly benefit from this discussion. Things tend to improve
when
people discuss a lot :)

Have a nice weekend!

However, this is not my purpose. I want to document the existing standard
and its natural consequences on our global LEAF packaging. David is
expressing a point of view that can be understood as a puzzle where
everything fits neatly in a grand plan. I am expressing a point of view that
can be understood as a quilt where the user builds a motif of his choice.

The natural consequence of David's point of view is that users and packagers
alike must follow a grand plan and it can be argued that this creates a
framework in which these people can work. Michael's quest is to obtain an
understanding of this grand plan so that his packaging remains correct.

The natural consequence of my point of view is that there is no grand plan.
Once a user has selected a number of packages which he intends to configure
into an "appliance" of some sort, the onus is on the user to solve name
space conflicts, if there are any. In this framework, ordinary users decide
if Machael's packaging is right for them and he onlly has to deal with
common sense in building his packages.

I do not see why both point of views cannot coexist. From a strictly
mathematical point of view, one is a subset of the other and therefore, both
are valid. From a strictly human point of view, a controlled environment may
be better for uneducated users and a loose environment may be better for
more creative types. I don't know, I am no psychologist :-)

In either points of view there are substantial benefits obtained by
unambiguously enumerating the contents of components. One such benefit is
that the feature set of a "distribution" becomes a lot more obvious.

Regards,

Serge Caron