Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > >It sounds almost like you want a "minimal set" of enumerated binaries and
> > >functions, and then Oxygen would add set X and Dachstein would add set Y.
> >
> > Nope. No. Nein. Niet. Non. :-)
> >
> > There is NO baseline.
> >
> > There is one standard: the formation of a package.
> >
> > The final decision on a configuration always rest with the user and she
> > expects the tools to do her job.
>
> There actually *IS* a baseline implicit in the above.  *SOMETHING* has to
> get linux booted, create/mount a root filesystem, and load the proverbial
> "package".  This implies some sort of boot-strapping code, as well as some
> sort of "package" format.

Yes -- the bounds to which are the objects of my lines of questioning .
. .

[ snip ]

> Once the packaging system is smart enough to know which files are
> configuration files (and maybe even able to tell which files have changed),
> it becomes much easier to support a variety of potentially complex issues,
> allowing users, developers, or the in-between "tinkerers" to setup backups
> and the loading of configuration data the way they want.

Believe it or not, this is the end to all of my lines of questioning.
Once we know this and know what can be expected -- and, corrallarily,
what cannot be known -- then, and only then, can that system be ``in
control'' and we can say that we are managing that system.  Until that
time, there is simply too little known about that system to quantify the
degree of certainty that we can claim.

Perhaps, this is where David parts company, since he is not interested
in building firewalls; rather, his interest -- imho -- lies more in
pushing various limits of these creatively designed systems.  Yes, that
is admirable creativity and inventiveness -- kudos, David!  However, my
primary interest in LEAF is management, monitoring and security based.
I, for one, do *not* see these priorities as mutually exclusive; rather,
I believe that these, and others equally different, views can coexist
and grow and flourish together under the aegis of LEAF . . .

> Lots of nifty ideas about this, but not enough time to jot everything down,
> and I don't want David getting mad at me again ;-)
>
> Seriously, I hope to have some time next week to begin to get some of the
> ideas bouncing around in my head out into the open, where they can grow and
> develop from everyone's input (or maybe they'll shrink back and be killed by
> the light).

I look forward to new ideas . . .

--

Best Regards,

mds
mds resource
888.250.3987

Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know.  The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . .