> Adding water to a boiling and already full kettle...
>
> Why can't we use a concept similar to this:
>
> <assume>
> vfat is used
> </assume>
>
> Package name: pppd-2.1.4
> Package files: pppd-2.1.4-bin.lrp, pppd-2.1.4-conf.lrp
>
> pppd-bin.lrp contains all necessary binaries and 'non-editable' scripts,
> pppd-conf.lrp contains all configurable files.
>
> All we will need then is to backup only the ???-conf.lrp files.
>
> I am perfectly aware of the problems this solution brings along,
> but hey, at least it's one more opinion/idea!

I'm strongly considering something like this if I ever get back to working
on the packaging system again (currently stuck in boot-strap & development
environment issues), although I'd probably do something like:
pppd-2.1.4.leaf
pppd-2.1.4.conf

There's also the issue of using a single "default store" package, which
could possibly also be supported by the same package system.  The user could
then choose how they wanted to backup...by individual package, or "en
masse".

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net