> >It sounds almost like you want a "minimal set" of enumerated binaries and
> >functions, and then Oxygen would add set X and Dachstein would add set Y.
>
> Nope. No. Nein. Niet. Non. :-)
>
> There is NO baseline.
>
> There is one standard: the formation of a package.
>
> The final decision on a configuration always rest with the user and she
> expects the tools to do her job.

There actually *IS* a baseline implicit in the above.  *SOMETHING* has to
get linux booted, create/mount a root filesystem, and load the proverbial
"package".  This implies some sort of boot-strapping code, as well as some
sort of "package" format.

Allow me to wander off on a slight philosophical tangent...

I think the core question is what makes LEAF LEAF?  What are the consistent
features between all the distributions we think of as being part of the LEAF
family?

There are *LOTS* of tiny linux distributions, and a rapidly growing number
of embedded linux distributions...what makes LEAF different from any of
these?

Many things come to mind, but I think the core feature is the dynamic
generation of a linux run-time environment on boot.  The embedded guys build
a complete environment on their high-powered development machine, then burn
a static filesystem image into their ROM, flash, or whatever storage media
they're using, and that's pretty much the end of it.  You may not even be
able to write to a file, much less be able to install a package for new
functionality.

The tiny linux distribution folks are also substantially different from
LEAF.  Virtually all of these distributions are based on running from a
hard-disk, and are essentially slimmed down versions of various full
releases.  Typically, if you don't have a hard-drive (or a good aproximation
of one), you can't effictively run one of these distributions.

LEAF, LRP, and a few other micro-distributions are designed to run without a
hard-disk, yet be extensible via a packaging system.  IMHO, this is the
single most unique and identifying feature of LEAF's many distributions, and
what sets us apart from the broader linux community in general.  Additional
characteristics like the linuxrc script, and the 2.2 series kernel patches,
exist due to the requirements of having a packaging system and dynamically
constructing the run-time environment at boot.

We've inherited a set of packaging and boot-strap conventions from LRP.
It's already been shown that the boot-strap conventions are not required to
make a LEAF system...this is evidence that while essential to a system
actually working, the specific boot methodology is *NOT* a critically core
part of LEAF.

So...who wants to start playing with the packaging system and re-defining
LEAF?

Once the packaging system is smart enough to know which files are
configuration files (and maybe even able to tell which files have changed),
it becomes much easier to support a variety of potentially complex issues,
allowing users, developers, or the in-between "tinkerers" to setup backups
and the loading of configuration data the way they want.

Lots of nifty ideas about this, but not enough time to jot everything down,
and I don't want David getting mad at me again ;-)

Seriously, I hope to have some time next week to begin to get some of the
ideas bouncing around in my head out into the open, where they can grow and
develop from everyone's input (or maybe they'll shrink back and be killed by
the light).

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net