Hi

Am 04.07.2015 um 09:50 schrieb Andrew:
Hi.

In most cases probing from squashfs is preferred over loading from moddb
- at least, this will not break system after update if it'll require
some modules that aren't in moddb (for ex., some ethernet driver).

We may add some option to use legacy behavior with sqfs, or we may add
fallback behavior with tgz package for hwdetect.

This would IMHO be a very ugly behaviour. I belived and still believe that the sqfs was a more elegant replacement for modules.tgz, and it is. You decided to use it also on startup with hwdetect, which makes IMHO most of the modules in initmod completely redundant.

To me all this looks like we have no clear policy for module handling, at least in a transition phase. Just using the sqfs looks like a regression to me.

Reducing the size or even making initmod redundant would be great if we could achieve that. I believe with the inclusion of sqfs support in the kernel this is possible. We should only do hwdetect if sqfs is present and definitely not inhibit saving modules in moddb.

I don't want to run hwdetect at each and every boot and there should be a boot time selection either just by the presence of sqfs or a command line switch.

my 0.02 SFr.

Erich