04.07.2015 15:14, kp kirchdoerfer пишет:
> Hi;
>
> I almost agree with Erich :)
>
> Am Samstag, 4. Juli 2015, 14:56:33 schrieb Andrew:
>> 04.07.2015 11:34, Erich Titl пишет:
>>> Hi

>>> This would IMHO be a very ugly behaviour. I belived and still believe
>>> that the sqfs was a more elegant replacement for modules.tgz, and it
>>> is. You decided to use it also on startup with hwdetect, which makes
>>> IMHO most of the modules in initmod completely redundant.
>> This makes moddb completely redundant, and this is leaved only for
>> systems with small storage + rare cases like custom modules. Initmod is
>> needed anycase - it's mounted with rootfs, and requires loaded
>> storage-related modules.
> Indeed; if we empty moddb, we have to make shure most of the modules are
> referenced in /etc/modules, so they'll be loaded by hwdtect during boot from
> sqfs.
No, they'll be loaded like with filled moddb.

>   Will free about 1.8MB on the images, but I believe requires more
> maintenance cvause we need to keep /etc/modules in sync with kernel modules
> (netfilter etc). Don't know if wildcards are suppported in /etc/modules.
netfilter/iptables/shaper modules are in .depend list of corresponding
packages (<DependsOn> section, lines like 'Module = ipt_*' - yes, with
wildcards; algorithm earlier was used in getdep.sh).

>>> To me all this looks like we have no clear policy for module handling,
>>> at least in a transition phase. Just using the sqfs looks like a
>>> regression to me.
>>>
>>> Reducing the size or even making initmod redundant would be great if
>>> we could achieve that. I believe with the inclusion of sqfs support in
>>> the kernel this is possible. We should only do hwdetect if sqfs is
>>> present and definitely not inhibit saving modules in moddb.
>>>
>>> I don't want to run hwdetect at each and every boot and there should
>>> be a boot time selection either just by the presence of sqfs or a
>>> command line switch.
>> Will it be enough good to add legacy .tgz handling to hwdetect (so
>> systems with tgz instead of sqfs will have same behavior as earlier)?
> I don't think it's necessary to revive tgz; it will just waste disk-space adds
> code etc..
>
> Saving modules in modbd and get rid of modules.sqfs  later and until next
> update works if I remoce /var/lib/lrpkg/sqfs.modules (the "blacklist").
>
> An idea could be to add configuration option in /etc/lrp.conf (like
> lrp_SAVE_MODULES) and if set to "yes" hwdetect does not write the modules
> loaded into the blacklist - waht dou you think?
>
> kp

Ok, we may do this. This shouldn't be too complex. Where this option
should be (leaf.cfg, kernel boot line, /etc/lrp.conf or somewhere else?).