Hi KP

Am 01.08.2015 um 01:40 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
Hi Erich;

Am Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2015, 22:27:35 schrieb Erich Titl:
Hi KP

Am 30.07.2015 um 19:18 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:

As I said above, default should be seamless.

How would you do that? Îf there are any parameters needed, they have to
be introduced. What about upgrading systems on the fly, do you really
want to massage leaf.cfg? I for myself dont.

In fact this sounded too ambitious.
Looking at build_upgade you are searching for the sqfs files. I assume that the
update script will be ready for 5.2 or later; and for 5.1.x we do not suppport
sqfs. So update script and the change in leaf.cfg will be made the same time.

I was running upgrade against your test packages and it was running fine there using tar or sqfs.sqfs is better, because it does not require an unpacked modules repository. I _believe_ though, that the default behaviour of upgrade is still using the tgz file. Will have a look. But then... it is months that I didn't touch it.

A note: New parameters could be necessary from time to time, we've tried to be
as stable as possible in the past, and we'll do in future.

I agree for _necessary_ parameters. To me the ones suggested here are not.

What I meant with "seamless", was the idea to make "saving to moddb" the
default, so nothing will change compared to the current behaviour.

Sure

The code to save to and use moddb isn't really working yet, at least for
me. But I think we should have that ready when releasing the next rc
with
modules.sqfs insteasd of modules.tgz.

To me it does not make a difference if it is a tgz file or sqfs, I won't
use it anyway except for upgrade and then be done with it. I prefer
moddb.lrp. I don't like the idea of a parameter because it adds
complexity.

The implementation in 5.2 will be pretty straightforward even for small,
but nowadays common boxes  with more than 32MB of storage.
To support still smaller/older systems (or to speedup boot) adding code to
save and use moddb is all I'm asking for.

There should be no code needed, just discard the changes to apkg, it did
not know about this in the past and IMHO it should not care where the
modules came from, just save them.

Ahhhh.... btw. could you please try to test build_upgrade and add the
files it is complaining about, if any. I have no way to test for another
few months.

I've added a 5_2 directory with all files build_upgrade requires. I guess I'm
missing the next step...?

If it is not complaining anymore then you can try to run upgrade from your box (you should find the code in the master repository)

It may still fail though, as I have not found yet a reasonable place for the firmware files. I opt for making them architecure independent and place them outside of the architecture path, e.g. i386,rpi....

What is your idea about the naming of tzhe branches?

I would call them x.y.z where x,y and z are positive integers, but anything goes.

cheers

Erich