Hi Erich;

Am Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2015, 18:12:34 schrieb Erich Titl:
> Hi KP
>
> Am 30.07.2015 um 15:51 schrieb kp kirchdoerfer:
> > Hi Erich;
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 29. Juli 2015, 10:01:42 schrieb Erich Titl:
> >> Hi

> >> To tellyou the truth, I don't like the idea of an option, it just adds
> >> complexity and changes to the init process and that one is rotten enough
> >> as it is now.
> >>
> >> I would like the current behaviour be kept as the default, new stuff can
> >> be added as optional, thus users don't have to worry about the settings
> >> of the boot process.
> >
> > It depends what you define as "current behaviour".
>
> Put it that way, no changes in boor config files, e.g. syslinux.conf or
> menu.lst (for grub)

There are no changes required in boot config files, with the exception of
leaf.cfg, which might be added to "boot config files", but then the target
should be a default to "no change to the behaviour of stable".

> > The current behaviour in 5.2-rc2 is that modules are probed from
> > modules.sqfs during boot, copied to /lib/mdoules and loaded.
> > This is extremly convenient if you have (boot) time and space.
>
> OK current for me is not the _beta_ behaviour :-)
>
> > Also updating a kernel requires to replace the kernel, initmod and
> > modules.sqfs.
>
> This one should _not_ be a dependency. At least to me that is a nice
> add_on but it must not be required to build a working system.

> New dependencies will be resolved with next boot.
>
> > The drawback is, that it is not possible to delete the 9MB modules.sqfs
> > and
> > that it always probe, copies and load modules.sqfs.
>
> That is bad, it should not be this way.

Agreed. That's why I'm discussing the required code change before releasing
next 5.2-rc!

> > The idea is to have a parameter in leaf.cfg to save the probed modules to
> > moddb, which is a lot smaller and to speed up boottime using moddb instead
> > of moduels.sqfs. I believe this is inline with your arguments for small
> > machines.
> I don't like the idea to have additional parameters for something I
> don't like anyway :-(

As I said above, default should be seamless.

> > The code to save to and use moddb isn't really working yet, at least for
> > me. But I think we should have that ready when releasing the next rc with
> > modules.sqfs insteasd of modules.tgz.
>
> To me it does not make a difference if it is a tgz file or sqfs, I won't
> use it anyway except for upgrade and then be done with it. I prefer
> moddb.lrp. I don't like the idea of a parameter because it adds complexity.

The implementation in 5.2 will be pretty straightforward even for small, but
nowadays common boxes  with more than 32MB of storage.
To support still smaller/older systems (or to speedup boot) adding code to
save and use moddb is all I'm asking for.
If we move on carefully, nothing will change for older/smaller boxes.