Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) <rsea...@arizona.edu> wrote:

> The plan, rather, is to cease easy access to solar time.

The resolution says the GCPM

: encourages the BIPM to work with relevant organizations to identify the
: need for updates in the different services that disseminate the value of
: the difference (UT1-UTC) and to ensure the correct understanding and use
: of the new maximum value.

So I think your summary is a bit off the mark.

I guess the ITU is going to revise TF.460 to allow larger values of DUT1
in time signals, and MSF etc. will accommodate the change too. (Do any of
the national broadcast signals actually follow the ITU spec?)

GPS L5 signals provide UT1 as an 8.23 bits two's complement fixed point
difference from GPS time. This is enough to cope with the changes in the
CGPM resolution. See IS-GPS-705 p. 87 at https://www.gps.gov/technical/icwg/

I have not been able to find any specs for NMEA sentences that contain
anything like UT1 or DUT1 or delta-T, but I expect they will be created
before too long, as more GPS receivers support L5 signals.

And there are other sources of UT1 like NIST's stunt NTP servers.

--
Tony Finch  <d...@dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
East Sole, Lundy, Fastnet: Westerly backing southerly, 5 to 7, then