On 2022-11-21 14:19, Seaman, Robert Lewis - (rseaman) wrote:

In a post-leap-second world, precision values for dUT1 either become more
critical or less. Or rather, they become no-less important scientifically but
perhaps negligible politically. For
example,https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273117719302388
says “Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) are dependent on VLBI as they
need dUT1 to maintain its operability”.

   I am not sure if we mean the same thing by "dUT1". I used
   it in the sense:
      dUT1 is an additonal correction to UTC so that
          UTC +  DUT1 + dUT1
      is a better approximation of UT1 than just
          UTC +  DUT1
      and takes its values in the set {0, ±20, ±40, ±60, ±80} ms.

   dUT1 in this sense is used only by some Russian time signals,
   and its value is not defined by the IERS. Moreover, since the
   amplitude of UT1 - UT2 is about 34 ms, dUT1 must be adjusted
   for annual variations of UT1 - UTC.

   I have seen the term "dUT1" to be used for ΔUT1 = UT1 - UTC
   (and that is how I read it in the paper you quoted), and
   also for the rate d(UT1) -- but these are different beasts.

   Michael Deckers.