To the person who mailed me a donation recently - thanks! Could you
email me, because I couldn't contact the email in your letter.

This week's stories: Grief, Anxiety and Confusion - We Must Be in
Church...Democracy Not Very High on the Agenda For US...Threat To World
Peace From Rogue State...Iraqi People to Be Liberated From Life Under
Saddam - And From Life In General...Free Market Triumphs Again...Quotes
of the Week.

The support of Sydney's Catholic Archbishop, George Pell, for an
American psychologist who claims homosexuality is a curable disorder
will only result in "untold grief, anxiety and confusion", according to
the Australian Psychological Society.
Dr Peter Rudegeair claims that, among other categories, those who fail
on the sporting field because of poor co-ordination are at risk of
turning to homosexuality later in life.
Dr Rudegeair's visit to Australia has been promoted by Archbishop Pell,
as well as Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart.

(Sydney Morning Herald, January 29, and Melbourne Community Voice,
January 31).

A US national security adviser has implied that the US intends to set up
a dictatorship in Iraq after invading it.
Condoleezza Rice told Egypt's state-run Al-Ahram newspaper that, once
Washington had taken control, it hoped to install an administration made
up of Iraqis currently living in the United States.
"We believe that when Iraq has been liberated from this terrible regime,
the Iraqi people will be perfectly capable of running their own
affairs," she said, "But there will be a certain moment, particularly
while military operations are still under way, during which we will need
to restore order and US military forces will play a central role in that".

(The Age, February 3).

An online poll by Time magazine, asking "which country poses the
greatest danger to world peace in 2003?", has so far given the following
results:

North Korea 7.3 %
Iraq 8.4 %
The United States 84.3 %

A total of 328726 votes were cast.

(Time magazine website poll, as of February 3).

British doctor's group Medact estimates that an invasion of Iraq would
lead to a total of 48,000 and 260,000 deaths. Civil war within Iraq
could add another 20,000 deaths.  Later deaths from adverse health
effects could add a further 200,000 deaths.
These estimates do not include the use of nuclear weapons, which the US
has refused to rule out using.

US President George W. Bush chose to outline his economic plan at a
trucking company warehouse while surrounded by
cardboard boxes.
The boxes were all stamped with "Made in China", so workers preparing
for the event taped over every Made in China with a white sticker or
packing tape.
The President spoke in front of a printed canvas backdrop with pictures
of cardboard boxes stamped "Made in America" in large black letters.

(Sydney Morning Herald, January 24).

Quotes of the week:

- Paulo Freire, educator (1921-1997)

"It was a hard choice...we think the price is worth it".

- Madeleine Albright, then US ambassador to the United Nations, when
asked how she felt about the fact that sanctions had killed more than
500,000 Iraqi children.

anarchist news service
write to James, PO Box 503, Newtown NSW 2042
or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

contact us to get ATNTF emailed directly to you.

If you like All the News That Fits, forward it on.

www.angry.at/politicians - new anarchist website with fliers for
download, contacts etc.

www.angry.at/racists - Anarchist/anti-racist music site with free mp3s,
Real Audio, Real Video, internet radio, band interviews etc.  Also
includes the text of 'Escape', an anarchist novel -
www.geocities.com/skipnewborn/novel.doc

www.dolearmy.org - information for unemployed people.

www.activate.8m.com - anarchist magazine aimed at teenagers.

All the News That Fits appears in the Anarchist Age Weekly Review
(www.vicnet.net.au/~anarchist - PO Box 20 Parkville VIC 3052) and The
Ham (www.theham.cat.org.au), as well as Melbourne Indymedia
(www.melbourne.indymedia.org).

Media outlets mentioned in All the News That Fits are sources - items
are not direct quotes from news media.  Background information may have
been gathered from sources in addition to media outlets cited.  Where no
source is cited, the information has been gathered from direct sources.