No, it doesn't matter what folder you store it in except yes, it would be a good idea to have a backup of it since that's the whole purpose of doing backups. In other words, if your hard-drive crashes, you'll lose the original plus all your backups unless you have copies elsewhere.

JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

Barbara Ford wrote:
So, the backup file, if I choose to rename and not overwrite (which is
what I now know is preferable), will always be a (.zip) file?

Is there any value in allowing the backup to be stored in the exact
folder where the.fdb is saved (as is the default, and I did accept the
defaults), or wouldn't I always want to select not to overwrite, and
store in a different folder (such as one that is included in my normal
backup procedure)? Obviously, I can store the backup where I wish, but
I just mean, is there some value that I may not realize, to having the
backup file be stored in the same folder with the actual file?

Barbara